1 lb chicken breasts, bones and skins removed (Cut in half 2 large chicken breasts butterflied so as to make 4 breasts)
1 large egg, beaten
1 slice of whole wheat or multigrain bread, follow the directions for making bread crumbs
1 tbsp of lemon juice
Olive oil spray
2 tsps olive oil
¼ tsp of garlic powder
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp reduced-fat butter
1 lemon, squeezed
¼ cup white wine
2 tbsps scallions or chives, chopped (for garnish)
1 tbsp capers
Prep Time: 15 minutes| Cook Time: 10 minutes
1. Chicken should be cut into 4 pieces. Put each piece between 2 sheets of parchment paper and hammer to ¼-inch thick. In a plate, drizzle 1 tablespoon lemon juice over the chicken breasts. Spread a little garlic powder, salt and pepper to both sides.
2. Toast bread and break into pieces so as to make bread crumbs. Grind into crumbs using a blender and put the bread crumbs on a plate. Beat well egg in a shallow bowl and dip first each chicken breast in the egg, and then the bread crumbs.
3. Spray well a large nonstick pan with a good amount of olive oil spray. Pour olive oil. When heat, add the breaded chicken breasts. Cook chicken covered in a pan for 3 minutes. Carefully, turn chicken over with spatula and cook covered for around 2 more minutes until cooked through. Take out of the pan and leave aside while preparing the sauce.
4. This is how to make the sauce. Melt butter in a small saucepan, add wine, lemon juice, chicken broth, a little salt, and pepper. Boil about 2 minutes over a medium-high heat until reduced in half. Mix in capers.
5. Add 1 chicken breast to each plate and spoon sauce over when serving. If needed, spread a little scallions or chives over each serving.
Nutrition Info :
The Chicken piccata recipe is well-known in Italian restaurants. Piccata is the same as tart or zesty. This receipe makes a nice tart sauce, using white wine, lemon juice and capers.
1g sat. fat
(old points): 5 | POINTS PLUS: 5 | SmartPoints: 4