German Cucumber Salad is a refreshing summer salad made with simple ingredients that are a staple in most kitchens! This recipe is easy to make, budget-friendly, and perfect for a potluck, family dinner, or summer cookout.
42. Calories. 9g. Carbs. 0g. Fat. 1g. Protein. 2. Weight Watchers® SmartPoints™. (1 PointsPlus®)
German Cucumber Salad is light, refreshing, and so easy to make! A perfect salad to bring to a party or potluck. My family especially loves this salad in the summer months because it is so light and tastes super fresh. This recipe is similar to how my German Grandmothers make their cucumber salad. I say similar because none of them can ever tell how much of each ingredient they use. But it tastes like Oma made it!
Cucumber Salad is called Gurkensalat in German and is made with sour cream, vinegar, and fresh dill. Like most German salads, this one tastes best after it has chilled for a few hours in the fridge. You can make it up to one day in advance! Perfect for a big party or barbecue.
How to make it?
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 medium to large tomato
2 slices onion (slice like you would for onion rings)
2-4 tsp lemon juice
1/2 – 3/4 tsp dill
Pinch of salt
How to make it :
1. Peel and slice your cucumber, slice your tomato, and slice your onion. I like to slice, then quarter the onion because its easier to eat.
2. In a bowl, combine dill and salt.
3. Add sour cream or yogurt and lemon juice to taste. Mix well.
4. Add onion, cucumber, and tomato to the mixture and stir until the veggies are coated with the dressing.