1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
2½ cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 (6-inch) corn tortillas, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1½ teaspoons chili powder, 1½ teaspoon cumin, 1½ teaspoon garlic powder and black pepper, to taste , shopping tips below
6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, I like Swanson’s
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can yellow hominy, drained and rinsed or corn
1 (14 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked chopped chicken
Juice of 1 lime
Ingredients for Topping: optional
1¼ cups reduced-fat tortilla chips, crushed
1. In a large nonstick pot, add olive oil, onions and garlic. Sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add chopped tortillas, tomato paste, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and black pepper, to taste. Sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring up to a boil, turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add hominy, beans, chicken and fresh squeezed lime juice. Mix well. Cook 10 minutes more.
5. Top with some crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
Makes 10 cups or 5 main-course servings (2 cups each)
Weight Watchers: SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers: POINTS PLUS 4